Your obligations as maid employer under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act (EFMA)
- Purchase Personal Accident Insurance with coverage of at least $60,000.
- Purchase and maintain medical insurance with coverage of at least $15,000
- Ensure payment of your maid’s salary not later than 7 days after the end of each salary period.
- Pay your maid’s salary in cash or through direct transfer into her bank account if she requests.
- Keep a record of the monthly salary payment.
- Pay the costs of her upkeep and maintenance, such as provision of food and medical treatment.
- Provide adequate accommodation and safe working conditions.
- Grant her adequate rest daily.
- Do not retain your maid’s original work permit.
- Provide a weekly rest day or compensation in lieu.
- Send her for the pre-employment and six-monthly medical examinations, and pay the related medical costs.
- Make sure that your maid only works in your house.
- If your maid goes missing, report to Controller within 7 days.
- Make sure all outstanding monies owed have been paid before sending her back.
- Give her reasonable notice before sending her back.
- Pay for the cost of sending her back.
Your EA’s responsibilities
- Provide your maid’s full biodata in the standard format and her employment history in Singapore to employer before hiring the maid.
- Make sure your maid meets the minimum entry criteria of being at least 23 years old and having 8 years of formal education.
- Make sure she received the IPA before departure to Singapore.
- Facilitate the signing of the safety agreement.
- In the case of transfer maids, EAs should inform you of your continued legal responsibility towards your maid until she obtains a new work pass.
- If your maid still has yet to obtain a new work pass after 21 days, your EA must inform you within 7 days, of your right to cancel your maid’s WP and have her repatriated.
Terms and conditions in the service agreement between you and your EA
- Validity period of the service agreement.
- Breakdown of costs involved in hiring your maid.
- Fee refunds and the timeframe within which you can expect that refund.
- Replacement conditions, the timeframe within which the replacement should be made and the recourse available to you, should your EA fail to provide a replacement.
- Avenues available for dispute resolution.